Are you ready for one more exciting topic on stainless steel bars?
If yes, let’s start
In today’s topic, we will discuss about 303 austenitic stainless steel grades.
Before we start how many of you know what is austenitic stainless steel?
I think very few of you know about it!!
But don’t worry we will discuss.
What is austenitic stainless steel?
Austenitic is non-magnetic stainless steel. It contains high level of chromium, nickel & low level of carbon. Because it provides high corrosion resistance & good formability austenitic stainless steel is known as widely used stainless steel.
Now let’s go on our main topic 303 austenitic stainless steel!!
What we cover in this topic?
- What is 303 stainless steel grade?
- Chemical Composition
- Stainless steel properties
- Corrosion resistance & Heat resistance
What is 303 stainless steel grade?
Grade 303 is austenitic non-magnetic stainless steel with high machinability among all the other stainless steel grade.
303 have good corrosion resistance ability, excellent toughness & high strength.
Chemical Formula of 304:
Fe, <0.15% C, 17-19% Cr, 8-10% Ni, <2% Mn, <1% Si, <0.2% P, >0.15%S
303 is not hardened by heat treatment, but strength and hardness can be increased substantially by cold working, with a subsequent reduction in ductility.
|Grade||Tensile Strength ksi||Yield Strength 0.2% offset ksi||Elongation – % in 50 mm||Hardness (Brinell) MAX|
- Nuts and bolts
- Aircraft fittings
- Electrical switchgear components
Corrosion resistance & Heat resistance:
- 303 has good corrosion resistance ability but less than 304.
- Additional sulphur also decreases corrosion resistance ability.
- Excellent machinability but low corrosion resistance ability.
- Grade 303 should not be exposed to marine or other similar environments, as these will result in rapid pitting corrosion.
- Excellent heat resistance at temperature up to 1700F
- Does not have a low carbon content, so it is also vulnerable to sensitization
- Excellent oxidation resistance in intermittent service to 760°C
- Not generally recommended for welding due to sulphur.
- If unavoidable and a lower strength can be tolerated, use Grade 308L or 309 electrodes.
A “Ugima” improved machinability version of grade 303 is available in round bar products. These machines significantly better even than standard 303, giving very high machining rates and lower tool wear in many operations.
At Vishwa Stainless Pvt. Ltd. we manufacture stainless steel bright round bars in 303 stainless steel grade. Our in house engineering team has vast experience to manufacture high-quality stainless steel bars. Our team develops excellent characteristics in stainless steel bars to provide most suitable stainless steel bar for different industrial application.
- Why Stainless Steel For CNC Machining Tools? – The Ultimate Guide
- Why To Use 17-4 PH Stainless Steel Bars? – Applications & Uses
- Stainless Steel Long Bars & Application – A Complete Guide
- Differentiation Between 304 vs 316 Stainless Steel Grade – The Definitive Guide
- Stainless Steel Bright Bars Grades & Applications – INFOGRAPHIC