Stainless steel is one of the things people come across in everyday life due to its versatile uses. It is used in many industries like paper, nuclear, oil & gas, chemical, renewable energy, and many more and the main reason for this vast array of industrial uses is because Stainless steel is a corrosion-resistant alloy of iron, chromium and, in some cases, nickel and other metals.
Stainless Steel is the green material par excellence because it is infinitely & completely recyclable. Some stainless steel is also known for its high yield strength and in addition, stainless steel does not leach compounds that might alter its composition after being in contact with water.
Stainless steel comes in many forms and is used in different ways according to the needs and one of them is 17-4 PH stainless steel, it is one of the most commonly used stainless steel in Petrochemical, aerospace, paper & nuclear industries as well as it is used in the manufacturing of turbine blades, food processing equipment, and marine vessels. The main advantage of using 17-4 PH stainless steel is that it is resistant to the effects of corrosion.
What is 17-4 PH Stainless Steel?
Stainless Steel 17-4 PH is a chromium-nickel grade of stainless that may be hardened by a single low-temperature precipitation-hardening heat treatment. Type 17-4 PH stainless steel is the most common type of martensitic PH stainless steel. Martensite is basically a steel crystalline structure that is hard. It transforms at low temperatures of 250 degrees centigrade into PH stainless steel.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Heat Treatment:
When 17-4 PH stainless steel goes through the precipitation hardening process, it gets one-step heat treatment at a temperature in the range 900°F (482°C) to 1150°F (621°C) depending on the combination of strength and toughness desired.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Machinability:
17-4 PH stainless steel has good machinability in the annealed condition – similar to that of stainless 304. Machining does become more difficult after hardening heat treatment. Carbide or high-speed steel tools can be used along with standard lubrication.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Properties:
Some of the Physical and mechanical 17-4 PH stainless steel properties of the 17-4 PH stainless steel are mentioned below:
|Melting Range||2560-2625 °F||1404-1440 °C|
|Specific Heat||0.11 Btu/lb.-°F||460 Joules/gg-K|
|Specific Density||0.282 lb./in3||7.8 g/cm3|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength||23,300 psi||160 MPa|
|Yield Strength (0.02%)||16,680 psi||115 MPa|
Advantages of using 17-4 PH Stainless Steel:
- Great strength
- Corrosion resistance
- Excellent mechanical properties
- High chromium and nickel concentration, making it suitable for many industrial applications
Uses of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel:
- Manufacturing of food processing equipment: Most of the food processing equipment is made out of stainless steel and normally people prefer 17-4 PH stainless steel because it has high chromium content makes it less prone to corrosion and makes it easy to clean as hygiene is important in this industry.
- Manufacturing of Marine vessels: Since the 17-4 PH stainless steel is corrosion resistant and has high mechanical strength it can be used in marine applications. Its resistance to corrosion allows it to withstand exposure to salty water that’s why the piping, heating elements, and seawater piping are made from 17-4 PH stainless steel in cruise ships.
- Useful for Turbine Blades Design: Turbine blade material should be able to withstand the rough conditions of high heat and pressure and 17-4 PH stainless steel is the best option for that, it provides high resistance and is able to keep its strength under adverse conditions like high temperatures.
- Use in Oil & Gas Industry: 17-4 PH stainless steel is used in the oil & gas industry for pipelines and rigs because most of the oil is obtained from the depths of the sea and at that level, there is a major problem of high pressure and corrosion and this both can be resolved by it.
- Use in Nuclear Industry: 17-4 PH stainless steel is the most preferred choice for storing radioactive spent fuel in the nuclear industry because of its great welding characteristics, it provides safe storage for the spent fuel with no leakage problems
As of now, there is no doubt that 17-4 PH stainless steel is providing many benefits from corrosion resistance to good mechanical properties and of course, high yield strength this makes it one of the most preferred alloys for many industries.
If you want to order 17-4 PH stainless steel bars, get in touch with Vishwa Stainless Steel at +91-72111 24478/79/80 or drop a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are one of the most renowned manufacturers of stainless steel bright bars in India, offering a wide range of stainless steel bars for a variety of industrial applications in India and around the world.